Book bought in Japan

Here it is, Russian nonchalance, bought a book in Japan, in Japanese. I myself know only the Russian language. We will try to translate, I don’t refuse to help. I hope, from a legal point of view, the rights of the author will not violate?

3 Likes

(しょくりょうしでん) 職漁師伝 , Life of professional fisher (?)
戸門秀雄 著, Tokado Hideo Author

http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/2017/06/lives-of-shoku-ryoshi-professional.html

「職漁師伝 渓流に生きた最後の名人たち」
Job fisherman on the mountain stream last living master
furainozasshi 職漁師伝 渓流に生きた最後の名人たち

https://10colorstenkara.com/t/the-history-of-the-commercial-fishermen-the-last-masters-who-lived-in-the-streams/414/16

2 Likes

Yes, this is this book, but there are more questions than answers on it. Google translator does not help much.

2 Likes

The author’s name is Tokado Hideo.
He is 67 years old.
He is the owner of a Japanese restaurant near Tokyo.
Store name Thomon.

This book is a record of the Tenkara fisherman in the Kanto region (about 300 km from Tokyo).
Tenkara fishermen are elderly people. Most people do not fish in Tenkare.
Many people have already died.

The author has previously visited them.
This is the record that the author visited them.
10 to 20 years ago.

Many people are amateur anglers.
There are several professional anglers.
Because in Japan there were very few professional anglers.

You can see their gear in the picture.
In this book, few descriptions of technology.
This is their life, the introduction of fishing gear. I met his son on facebook.

2 Likes

The description of this book is very accurate

2 Likes

In 2017 Fishing Café Vol.57 featured shokuryōshi Fukushima Tatsumi-san [ 福島立實(ふくしま たつみ)].
The last one from Norikura Highlands [ 乗鞍高原 ]. Nagano area, I think.
But I think that area is to far north of Kantō region for Tatsumi-san to be in this book.

wikipedia Kantō region

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation
His books are records from the 1950s (some are older)
Mr. Fukushima article is in chapters 245 to 266
The introduction of each individual’s fishing tool is also very accurate
(“Kebari” used by Mr. Fukushima is listed on page 265)
“Kebari” used in the Norikura Highlands district [乗鞍高原] is called “Crow Kebari-カラス毛鉤” or the trade name “Sanpei Kebari-三平毛鉤”
A thick body made of black cotton thread is characteristic

“Crow Kebari-カラス毛鉤”
https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fk3yi8anpontan/41150919.html

1 Like

There is a color image of this kebari.

2 Likes

There are various other types

img_1 img_2 img_3 img_5 img_6 img_9

Black was used to match the rocky river of white granitic rock

1 Like

Todoroki-San, which hook size was usually used?

Sanpei kebari, 三平毛針

http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/flytying/images-fly/sanpeikebari.jpg?width=550&height=550

Nakashinano Norikura area kebari

http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/flytying/tenkara.html

http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/amago/b-streams/flytying/tenkara-2.html

I do not see anything about the hook size used for the kebari from the fk3yi8anpontan blog.

On the Best Streams website the size listed is iseama 6-gō (伊勢尼6号).
Maybe same or similar to these Gamakatsu iseama 6-gō hooks

Amazon Gamakatsu iseama black 6号

伊勢尼バリ, iseama needles: aka Hooks [フック, fukku]. They appear to be designed for sea fish [海の魚]

http://books-nekoya.jp/Fishing/tackle/hook_type_iseama.html

2 Likes

Mr. Walker
Thank you for your explanation.

In the Northern Alps area of ​​Japan, strong sea fishing Hooks were used.

・・・It is also in this picture(海津鈎&伊勢尼)

Strong thick hooks that were once used are fly hook sizes # 6 to # 8
Now it’s smaller than it and fly hook size # 10

1 Like

That is interesting, as those are rather large hook sizes for trout. I know people do use bigger hooks at times, but for the average trout that most people catch a size #6 is large.

それらはマスのためのかなり大きいフックサイズであるので、それは面白いです。私は人々が時にはより大きなフックを使用することを知っていますが、ほとんどの人がサイズ#6をキャッチする平均的なマスにとっては大きいです。

1 Like

Shape varies according to region

Mr. Peder
Thank you for your explanation.

In the past, large hooks were commonly used

The hook Mr. Fukushima using is here
・・・桑原型9号 OH-Hooks

Upper side・・・伊勢尼
Lower・・・桑原型9号+ets OH-Hooks
right・・・masutad company 9号

2 Likes

“Kurobe-Kebari” was used in the area far beyond them
・・・黒部毛鉤

The left side is “Kurobe-Kebari”・・・黒部毛鉤
The right side is “Akiyamago-Kebari”・・・秋山郷毛鉤

For your reference

1 Like

Peder - It might be possible the shokuryōshi used large strong hooks because they were not fishing for sport, but to make living. The goal to catch as many fish as possible as quickly as possible. Why risk losing a fish to a broken or bent hook? As long as the fish were willing to take a large kebari - use it.

Learning about how the shokuryōshi lived is interesting history to read about. However, I think their style of fishing was much different from the style expected from sport anglers. Also I think the stream conditions during the peak of the shokuryōshi profession were much different from now. More fish in the streams, few sports anglers. Fish may have been less weary of taking a fly than they are now on heavily fished streams. I’ve seen it recommended to use a smaller fly on heavily fished streams. Itoshiro for example where it is C&R and fish become more hesitant to take anything in the water that is the least bit suspicious looking. More stealth is needed by the modern sport tenkara angler than was required by shokuryōshi 50 years ago.

If you’ve watched videos of the shokuryōshi fishing, they seemed to use stiff rods, and yanked the fish out of the stream quickly, removed them and quickly cast again. I don’t recall the name of the two videos. As I recall one or both had some rare footage of the father of the man who now runs a family owned inn, in Akiyamagou. Whose name I don’t recall just now. There is a video of him being interviewed by Dr. Ishigaki, and another one being interviewed by Go Ishi and the Discover Tenkara guys.

One or both videos also showed him, the son, fishing. And his style was more that of a shokuryōshi than the style of a sport angler. I do recall he used a furled line, horse hair I think, and it was observed that when he wanted the line to be heavier he would lay the line onto the water to pickup water weight. When he wanted to lighten the line he would do a few false cast to shake the water out to make the line lighter with less sag.

3 Likes

The old hunting area is now a tourist spot

There is a difference between how to hunt and how to enjoy fishing

I am an old type job fisherman and the author of this book is the same

He and I also want to leave it as a record

Now I am fishing for pleasure
“Kebari” making is one of the pleasures

Many of the things written in this book were done in my childhood and I also experienced it
Although it may be different from Tenkara, that fun is still the same now

It is my personal enjoyment method to make “Kebari” making use of old type to evolve to the way of fishing now

2 Likes

Some of the book reviews, recommendations, summaries, and bibliography found online.

As always the whole page translations are quit odd in places, and a better translation can be obtained by looking at individual paragraphs. But good enough to get the gist of the author’s reviews.

From the higlandfeet wordpress monthly reading recommendation

I will introduce a book that is quite unusual for general purpose “Fisherman 's job” (written by Tokado Hideo ) .First published by「農山漁村文化協会(農文協)」から From “Agriculture and mountain fishing village culture association (Farm Co-op)”.

“This book is also based on a series of articles contributed to a magazine of Yamato Valley Shrine which is one of those publishing houses, but with a part addition and a new chapter added at the beginning part and reconstructed contents It is getting. Although the series itself is a little older since the 1990 's, there seems to be some points which are not consistent with the current situation, but since necessary revisions and corrections are added, there is nothing to be distracted.”

今月の読本「職漁師伝」戸門秀雄-農山漁村文化協/

higlandfeet wordpress This month’s reading

From webdoku cafe/suzuki
First this reviewer summarizes and contrast the development of fly fishing for sport in Europe, UK and migration to America in popular culture, and sharing of fly patterns.

Then contrast that culture to the different demands and attitudes of the professional fisherman in Japan’s mountain streams. Where different techniques and kebari patterns were developed in different valleys. And the difference between fishing for play and fishing for work were clearly seen early on.

Including this unexpected observation:
“The very important thing in this book is the story of Ginzan Lake (also called Okutadami Lake) that spans Niigata and Fukushima prefectures. Described in detail by Ken Takeshi’s “Fish On” (Shincho Bunko), this Ginzan Lake has a large Iwana catch and fishermen rush from the whole country, but the number of Iwana’s inhabitants drastically decreases.
“Association for raising Okutadami’s fish” was formed in 1975, chairman of Kaiko Tadami was formed in 1975, an angler who is said to be a dog monkey, a local fishery cooperative association, a local office, a ryokan association, experts united to form a silver mine Embark on protection of the lake’s Iwana. …”

[ 犬猿 is translating as dog monkey, but I think the sentence is supposed to be saying - anglers were at a loggerhead with with the fishery association. However, that may also be incorrect. And experts united to protect the Iwana in Lake , not form a silver mine. Iwana of Ginzan Lake should be - 銀山湖のイワナ, Kanayama-ko no iwana, Silver Mountain Lake, I think] :thinking: :confused:

http://www.webdoku.jp/cafe/suzuki/20151203103553.html

webdoku cafe review by Suzuki Takeshi

shop ruralnet - Detailed information on bibliography. Shoku ryōshi-den.

Short biography of the author, commentary and TOC.
Sample of subtitles:
Okushiga’s job fishermen [Part 1]
Okushiga’s job fishermen [second part]
Okutama’s meijin. Skillful unique fishing method.
Norikura Kogen “Iwasakaso” [ ? 岩花荘, rock flower ? ]
The last river fisherman
“When the river fishery is gone, the river is over”

At the end of each chapter, (① ~ ⑪), a column “Fishing gear considerations”
etc.

http://shop.ruralnet.or.jp/b_no=01_54011259/

shop.ruralnet bibliography. . Occupation fisherman

3 Likes

The meaning is “a person who conflicts” or “each other’s interest is contrary”

Todoroki-san, Were you a shoku ryōshi when younger or from shoku ryōshi family?
If yes. I did not know that.

Nice video. The white building seen at the beginning looked like the same building I frequently see on the Yoshidakebari blog, where he conducts training classes. Maybe the same one or just similar looking building.

The fall colors of the trees look much the same where I live. Only the rivers have less water because the mountains here are not snow capped. However, some summers where I go to fish, once in a while in July in deep ravines, on the north side that gets little direct sunshine, I will still see snow in July. But only when the previous winter had a lot of snow.

The mountains here may be oldest in the world or second oldest. Their time with their summits in the clouds are long gone. Not so tall as they once were, but generally much steeper than the taller mountains in the world. What they lack in height they compensate for by being steep to walk up. :smile:

1 Like