Question for experienced casters

I finally read all the comments. I too use a fairly long tippet when I can and I do lots of manipulations so I am really looking at the fly and my tippet. What I did not realize until I tried totally clear line is that subconsciously it must help me see and find those things. While fishing a colored level line I did not think it would be a big deal to switch…but it was indeed harder. Could be just me and my crazy brain! I do think like trout…our eyes take in lots of data quickly and process it all for the end goal…seeing that line must have been part of that for me. I am not talking about strike detection or nymphing etc…

For those interested in geeky stuff on trout sight this is a pretty interesting video. Just remember the video is about what a trout is CAPABLE of seeing…science cannot tell us exactly what they do see because that has more to do with how the brain process the capabilities. If you don’t want to watch it…one take away is that trout are capable of seeing the “flash” of a line whether clear or not and tippet stuck in the meniscus stands out like an elephant. Trout also have motion detection cells so the slightest movement in their cone may spook them. I am sure we have all caught trout that we know saw us and/or on horrible casts/drifts while wearing bright yellow :joy: so who knows? :laughing:

2 Likes

@Jason_Seaward
I would say I don’t need to see my line when casting to have a fair amount of confidence the fly landed pretty close to where I wanted it to land. Assuming it’s not windy.

I only need to be able to see the line to know where the fly moves to after the cast with the stream current. Not being able to see where the fly goes after splash down is why I stop fishing after it becomes to dark to see the line. Well, that and not being about to see to unhook and release the fish. Sure I could use a head lamp, but once its turned on dark vision is gone for at least thirty minutes or so. Though I suppose I could try using the red light option for the C&R part.

1 Like

When the floating flies appear to be connected by a flash line, the fish think they are afraid of flies
If you put only the fly on the water, the fish will move naturally
I never put the line on the water
I like raising the tip of the fishing rod and manipulating it, and I feel that it is the pleasure of “Tenkara”
Sometimes it is also possible to fish in the air without placing the fly on the water surface

5 Likes

The only time I leave any line on the water is in windy conditions so that my fly doesn’t move too fast.

Certainly … a windy day
In some cases, “Kebari” can be manipulated like a “kite” by the wind

May be the advantage of a long rod

2 Likes

Yes, however, here in Minnesota, in the winter I usually fish with a nymph because the fish are really deep.

2 Likes

Yes
This is the same as nymph fishing
I’m making “Kebari” because it’s still snowing :wink:

1 Like

A little warmer where I live. Three days ago I heard a loud strange sound outside. Going outside to try to determine what was making the noise. I realized it was hundreds of birds.

At first I couldn’t see them. Until I saw large swarms of them rise from a sycamore tree, that I couldn’t see because of a large pine tree in my yard. The birds flew around that tree, several landing for a few minutes in my maple tree. It looked like the maple tree was leaved out in black leaves.

Similar swarms of birds could be seen leap frogging from tree to tree on the mountain side to the south. After about 10 minutes they were all gone. Flying off to the west. I think it was the first time I have seen so many birds at one time. It sounded like a scene from the Alfred Hitchcock movie. “The Birds”, Except they did not attack me. :smile:

However, in this case. - A good omen that casting and fishing will soon arrive, too.

2 Likes

I fish some line on the water at times doing downstream presentations. I don’t recall the Japanese names for the manipulations but they involve either slowing down the drift a fraction slower than the current or actually pulsing the fly upstream. In order to keep the fly from rising too much in the water column you need to keep the rod tip low and leave some level line on the water. With downstream presentations keeping the line too tight is super hard to get a hook up so you need to add enough slack to allow the fish to “turn”. Similarly when I cast upstream and pulse across the current I keep a low tip and some level line on the water to again keep the fly from rising too much.

Sorry for resurrecting a thread from so long ago.

I get a lot of questions about using stealthy line vs. something hi-vis. IMO, you should use the brightest line you can get away with without scaring the fish. Stealthy lines are very cool, but if you can’t properly get feedback about your cast, then your cast is garbage.
For most anglers, their casting ability is the limiting factor, not the stealthiness of their line.
ERiK

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @ERiK_Ostrander! This is what keeps the forum alive and interesting.

Having Your Cake and Eating It Too by including Both HiViz and Stealth Lines in your Line System can and will improve your fish catching abilities. This is primarily for Level Line users but there is no reason why it will not work with Tapered Lines as well.

There is a considerable step-down in line diameter between your Tenkara line and your tippet, too much in fact for the best casting efficiency. By putting in A Transition Section of Flurocarbon Lines of 8Lb and 6Lb Test lines of 18” and 9” of clear line between the T-Line and Tippet, you get a Stealth Line Spacer in between your HiViz Line and your Tippet with much better Casting Efficiency.

For example, Size 3.5 T-Line Mics out @ 0.013, #3 @ 0.012, and 2.5 @ 0.011” and 5X and 6X FC Tippet Materials @ 0.0058 and 0.0050 inches respectively. 8 Lb FC comes in @ 0.009 and 6 Lb Test @ 0.008 inches for much more consistent StepDowns, more casting accuracy and better wind fighting abilities with a few extra knots. With the use of Perfection Loops and the Loop-To-Loop Connection, the Transition Section can be switched out between different sized and line lengths if you do not wish to add a Transition Section to each of your lines, and your tippet can be shortened to 2 to 3 feet, so you get HiViz and Stealth in the same line with better accuracy and wind fighting abilities. Give it a try and see what you think…Karl.

1 Like

Casting ability is the limiting factor…
Absolutely!
People try to buy a magic bullet instead of investing in practice. Throughout last winter I went across the street to the park often for 15 or 20 minutes of practice whenever it was breezy. That’s paying off now!

1 Like

Plus, for me (being a little older), I need to be able to see the line to get timely hook sets. Erik, anything new on the Oni School?

I am experimenting with building tapered lines. I have one for weighted nymphs with an orange #3.5 butt section, chartreuse #3 section, then 2’ sections of 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x clear flouro to a tippet ring, then 2’-3’ of 5x clear flouro. I’m using Owner Pro Markers spaced about 1" apart above the tippet ring and adjustable for the water depth. I find the visibility of the markers is outstanding; virtually always much better than level lines. It casts very well. There is a downside that the more supple clear flouro may tangle more than stiffer level lines if not paying attention to the rod tip when not actually fishing (moving or otherwise occupied).

1 Like

Oni School is on.

2 Likes

I built a tapered line in a couple of sizes and have fished it on a number of my rods. Ultimately I don’t like it and have gone back to straight level line. I don’t find a tapered line to cast better, it feels worse. Just my experience with it.

I do find in very still water or tiny creeks that I do better with clear level line. The fish don’t notice the line like they do with hi vis.

1 Like