Tenkara Newbie Needs Some Help

I agree with all the beats shared with emphasis on @CM_Stewart 's notes.

The broad strokes:
There are common misconceptions about tenkara. It is nymph fishing but not by the western flyfishing definition.
It is best to try to wash away what you think tenkara is. Try not to lean on any of your past experience as @cc121 notes. Easier said than done as it takes tremendous discipline.

Study it new. Consider Tenkara as a new book for presenting a fly…like Chris Stewart notes.

Learning
There is a bit that may be chicken before the egg. I personally feel that it might be hard to find a guide to help you on your journey. Even in this forum there is a mix of perspectives and approaches.

Tenkara was founded/developed to harvest fish in high gradient mountain streams. So if you dissect what that could mean for the engineering and utility, it can translate to fast moving water and lots of structure, and fish that need to make a quick decision to eat. Short drifts and capitalizing on presentations that can animate a fly. A dead drift in any turbulent water…results in an animated fly. Even a slow pool has current and turbulence. Embellishment is also animation. Nymphs move…

I personally feel the further we move from that origin in application the less we actually benefit from its engineering. When I say engineering. I am bundling the equipment, techniques, and philosophy together.

Line drape
So many folk get talking about drape and drag. Some get real serious about it. If I want to minimize drag on the fly…I will put a couple inches of my running line on the water and allow the tippet to move freely. Those couple inches can function as an indicator. I use spiderwire, which also floats and it I wanted to…it would accept floatant, but I never apply any…sometimes I let the current pull the line deep if it is a deep pocket.

Most of my fish in the last few years are not dead drift fish…so drape is less of a factor. For me it is a dance of slack and tension.

flies
These days I almost exclusively fish a futsu style fly. Basically it is a dry pattern like an adams but fished in the full water column.
This is a long thread. …but covers my thoughts on it.

2 Likes