Wading boot soles

Since we are talking about wading, I was just curious about something.
I have moved to the Orvis Ultralight wading boot coupled with the Simms wading neoprene socks (can be used to cover up to my knee). I like this set-up, as I stay dry in streams, solid ankle support, and light.
I have never tested hiking longer distances in the set-up for concern of blisters with the neoprene socks. Don’t know if that is an irrational fear? Has anyone hiked good distances in neoprene?

My 2019 summer wet wading trips averaged over 5 miles of mixed hiking & wading with 2.5 to 3 mile approaches. I was carrying two pairs of wool socks and two pairs of neoprene socks that are not waterproof. When I was through wading and ready to return to the car on the trail, I would pull off my boots and socks, dry my feet and change my socks. The residual moisture in the boots would get my socks a little damp by the time I got back to the car but my dogs were quite happy with that.

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head! Exactly my boots and my situation. For short distances and cold water, they’re fine - quite good. Beyond that, their flaws start showing. There are things about the boots I really like and other things I don’t. One thing is that as you move, I feel the Boa laces loosen and need to be re-tightened. If I’m only out for an hour or two, I can manage; but it’s in that time frame they start loosening. Sure, it’s trivial. But when you’re in the middle of the river in water up to your knees and start losing a boot, it’s frustrating. That’s happened to me multiple times.

I think the “armor” on the Devil’s Canyon are better than the Wraptr, which I why I bought them. Similar to what you said, I feel that my heel slips around in them a lot. Prior to owning these, I had wet waded in old hiking boots for over 30 years and never lost a toenail.

@Jason_Seaward I use a pair similar to the Simms. I always wear a pair of socks underneath. If nothing else, I find it easier to remove the neoprene at the end of my fishing outing. I’ve done two years now of neoprene socks and the aforementioned wading boots and never gotten a blister. If I go out for more than a couple of hours, I usually hike 1-3 miles in before fishing and haven’t had a problem. Aside from losing toenails.

I don’t think I ever had the feeling that the Devil’s Canyon Boa laces weren’t “tight”. In fact they were rather uncomfortably tight all day around the front of my ankle about mid-way up the ankle after tightening them the way I did. But they weren’t tight enough at the top of the instep.

The “one piece” armor upper construction of Wraptr was a nice concept but the flex of the toe of the boot was clearly beginning to cause the armored “weave” to break down. Plus it was very heavy; about a pound heavier than my Devil’s Canyon for a size 12.

But the jam cleat at the instep was the best design I’ve ever seen in any hiking or wading boot for tweaking the fit.

I does disturb me that after being told in an email by a Korkers CSR after I contacted them with a warranty claim about the holes developing in the upper saying that there were “known problems” with the Wraptr, that it was being discontinued, and offering me another model as a replacement, that Amazon and fly shops are still selling the boot at 30% off.

The Terror Ridge boot upper is very much like the Devil’s Canyon. The “heel lock” lacing strap is a good idea but so far I believe the jam cleat worked better for me.

Hi Peder. Thanks for the response. I have never tried socks inside the neoprene socks. Will have to try that this summer!

1 Like

They can’t be too thick, at least for me they cannot. Otherwise I get that tingling feeling when a nerve is pinched.

I agree with you, they can get uncomfortably tight. I just feel they don’t stay tight. But I also move a lot when I fish; 3-5 casts and move up/down. So, maybe it’s just me.

The “one-piece” armor as you call it is a concern for me about the new Orvis boot too. It looks to be of similar concept. And your point about it breaking down where the foot flexes is one reason I wanted to see it used in the real world first.

Too bad they got rid of the jam cleats, those look great. Those would be great on hiking shoes.

My Astral Hyaks arrived today and I tried them on with my Simms Wading Socks while wearing smart wool socks and the fit seemed really good. Now I just have to wait for wet wading season to find out for sure.

3 Likes

Just came across these. No idea about quality or comfort. Might be of interest for anyone that likes to get their feet wet. Interesting concept.

https://fliprocks.com/

I looked those a long time ago, haven’t actually tried them. I’m thinking those combined with some seal skinz when the water is cold would be awesome.

I dislike wadding and avoid it as much as possible, but it is often necessary. From my experience I would always go at least 2 sizes larger than you think you need. One size larger fits, but it seems to squeeze my feet enough to inhibit good blood flow and my feet get cold. Two sizes or a bit more bigger = warmer feet. Can’t comment about hiking in wading boots as I never walk far in them.