What will your next rod be?

I believe that is true. If you read some older blog post or watch some of the videos from a few years ago when Oni was in Italy, which was before the current Oni rods were fully developed, Oni was fishing with Nissin Royal Stage rods.

And in the Oni shop he sells two types of rods. Oni Rods and Nissin Royal Stage rods. But the 7:3 version not the 6:4. Or that is the only version presently listed. That would be confirmation that Oni himself finds the Nissin RS rods compare favorably to his own rod design.

http://www.oni-tenkara.com/english/oni-blog/ Oni in Italy 2

http://www.oni-tenkara.com/english/oni-blog/ Oni in Italy 3

1 Like

@troutrageous1 I totally agree with the Royal Stage 320 6:4, what an excellent rod at a good price.
Michael, that was an excellent choice.

1 Like

I’m new to Tenkara, but have been fly fishing for 30 years. I got the Dragontail Shadowfire on an impulse and was instantly hooked.

I’m thinking if I add the Mizuchi I’ll mostly be all set. If 13’ becomes an issue, I like their Hydra zoom rod looks. I know that I love their customer service.

5 Likes

I’ve been contemplating that rod too and it’s a little easier to get at the moment.

Welcome to the forum Randy! It’s a great group of people with passion, experience, and knowledge.
I am pretty new as well and can only really provide the passion.

Thank you for that.

Welcome! You’ll like this group, sooo much knowledge and experience.
Now that you’ve gotten your feet wet with your first rod, take any and all chances that come up to cast as many different rods as you possibly can. “Hands on” is the very best way to find what speaks to you.
Any time I meet up with anyone to practice casting it seems quickly to evolve into a mass rod testing exchange!

There’s a phrase you’ll encounter in the tenkara world…
“Find your own tenkara“, that came from the idea of Ten Colors of Tenkara.
Enjoy this new fishing experience!

Just today, (5/10/20) I got conformation of shipment of a Diawa Sagiri 39 MC rod from Chris - T-Bum. This is a rod I have lusted after for a very long time and regretted not getting when I had the chance and the rod was available. At one time I understood that it had gone out of production, but from time to time more 39’s and 40’s become available agin for a few select sellers, so I suspect that those with some Pull in the industry may be able to Leverage some small additional production runs of those models. How else can the continual new supplies of Sagiri Rods keep popping up?

2 Likes

@T-stillwater How have you liked the Sagiri 39MC? I recently got a 45MC and love it.

1 Like

I like my 39 MC very well; it is the rod I have fished the most this year. It’s shorter length is very good on fairly open small streams, and I the longer length does equally well on lakes with PVC Floating Tenkara Fly Lines.

If it has a Weakness, lt would be its soft, slow action, which is a little slow on hook sets using deeply fished, weighted fly patterns. But, even so, it has a surprising amount of Backbone and I have easily landed some surprisingly big trout on it this year. And the lack of tip heavy ness makes it a pure joy to fish with in either length, along with its very light weight.

Unfortunately it has received some hard knocks, but seems to be holding up just fine as well. All things considered, it is one Hell-of-a-rod in my opinion…Karl.

1 Like

I have just received a new Tenkara Times 1stStep 360. Last year I sold all my T rods, mainly because I was doubtful if I would be able to use them again due to health reasons. However things are looking brighter and the other week I took the plunge again and bought the 1stStep 360. I have had one of these before and enjoyed using it. I like the 6:4 action of the rod which suits the English freshwater species and size I target. I tried it out the other day. No fish but it was pleasure to use. I need a stick to walk but I managed the rod perfectly so I am hopefully of getting out on the bank - even though it’s a canal bank in an urban area.

7 Likes

I am waiting for my Oni I to come in and John V will send it and my Oni III together!

1 Like

I have the new Shimano BG Tenkara rod on order through Plat in Japan. Hopefully it’s on schedule for end of December.

2 Likes

Aside from my Oni I and III that I’m waiting for, I also just ordered a Hakubai 240, Air Stage Honryu 450, and Fine Mode Nagare 330. Santa Has been good to me!

3 Likes

I have a Tiny Ten coming tomorrow because I’m fascinated by 5- and 6-foot rods.

Here are rods I’m looking at getting in 2021:

• Suntech Kurenai HM33R
  • Nissin Pro Square 360
  • Anything by Tenkara USA or Tenkara Rod Co. because I’ve never fished any of their rods and like having first-hand experience.
1 Like

My buddy has been on the fence about the tiny ten. He needs a tiny rod for some overgrown trickles that he fishes. Right now he’s leaning toward a 5 or 6 foot Hinata from Tenbum.

I’d like to find a rod in the sub 8 foot range that is really nice. My shortest is the the Anglo Kowasa. That is a great little rod, but sometimes still too big for the little creeks I like to hit up.

I’m with you on that…my buddy and I fish some dense, tiny streams at times. We’ve been talking to Chris S about a 6’ Hinata.