Fighting Large, Strong Fish

I didn’t want to take the Today On the Water conversation any further off track so I decided that a new thread might be a good idea.

Wow, 0.2mm 0.3mm tippet is 3X to 16 lb (larger than 0X). Tippet recommendations for my rods are 5X (12 penny and 20 penny rods) to 6X (26.5 penny Suntech GM 53 Keiryu).

I’m still a Tenkara yearling. If I am unable to follow a strong 2200 gram fish and unwilling to let go of my rod and hope the fish won’t take my rod out into the deep water, wouldn’t the rod break and the fish and my line be lost before the tippet breaks?

Is the rod Vladimir using designed to use 16lb test tippet?

Brian, thanks for moving the thread. My google translator gives out a strange translation. Ask a question differently.

I have a kyogi that can handle to 0x.

For me its far too rigid to be enjoyable to cast.
We should get more details from Vladimir.
Vladimir notes that he can cast a #4 level line. On my Kyogi…that would be a challenge. I use a heavy line to load my kyogi. its a 6wt floating line…hahahaha. Yeah you can put lighter lines on it but it will not cast.

The translators between english and russian are not perfect.

Best if you have a question for Vladimir to try to ask in his language.

@Brian_Miller try this translator and use the arrows to translate/swap the translation back and forth once you write something in. The arrows will attempt to translate the russian translation back to english and often its clear that word or phrase choice can really have effect on clarity of translation.

2 Likes

Спасибо, Владимир. Я надеюсь, что это имеет больше смысла. Твоя Тенкара удилище, предназначенное для использования с 7.257 кг свинец (палантин)?

Thank you Vladmir. I hope this makes more sense. Is your Tenkara rod designed for use with 7.257 kg lead (tippet)?

Я все еще десятилетний Тенкара. Если я не могу следовать за сильной 2200-граммовой рыбой и не хочу отпускать свою удочку и надеяться, что рыба не вытащит мою удочку в глубокую воду, не сломается ли удочка, а рыба и моя леска будут потеряны до того, как сломается свинец (Типпет)?

I’m still a Tenkara yearling. If I am unable to follow a strong 2200 gram fish and unwilling to let go of my rod and hope the fish won’t take my rod out into the deep water, wouldn’t the rod break and the fish and my line be lost before the lead (tippet) breaks?

Brian, this was the first fishing with this rod. I always use tippet 0,2 mm, even when I catch trout. Sdes fish larger, I decided to put 0.3 mm tippet, but this does not mean that the rod will withstand 7 kg