GT furled lines from Daisuke Tsuchiya

Yesterday I received an assortment of the GT furled lines from groundstore in Japan. These are the lines made by Daisuke Tsuchiya. I purchased 1 each at 3.2, 3.6, 4.0 and 4.5 meters. My intention is to pair these with my airstage fujiryu 5:5 rods since Hiromichi Fuji designed these rods to be fished with a furled line.
I was able to briefly yard cast them yesterday and 1st impressions are very good. The lines are very thin and light. The cast is effortless and they lay out a very delicate fly first presentation. They respond well to aerial mending. Im very excited to get these on the river.
Ive fished level lines 99% of the time over the last few years as I have not enjoyed any of the furled lines ive tried so far. These GT lines are pretty unique. I’ll report back after getting them on the water for awhile.

3 Likes

Ryan,
Would you let me know the site where you ordered these furled leaders. I use level lines
but I do have the 330 and 360 / 5:5 Airstage Fujiryu rods. I wouldn’t mind trying out these furled lines to see how they cast on this type of tenkara rod. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
—Mike------

Hi Mike,

Ordering was easy and shipping was decently quick. He makes these one at a time as ordered.

1 Like

Ryan, I bookmarked the page and will wait to see your final report. I expect a report from you too Mike.

2 Likes

David,
I will order mine in about 2 weeks and then I will give you a report on how it turns out. I did start with furled lines but quickly switched to level line. It will be nice to give the furled line a chance again. I do use braided/furled line for fly fishing. I’m not sure why I switched exclusively to level line, or maybe I should say I just don’t remember why I went to level line back in 2012-13. It will be great to revisit tenkara furled lines and see if I feel different now.
Ryan, thank you for sharing this information with us.

1 Like

At one point in time he was on the forum here and had experimented with an English language version of his order form. However, I don’t think it gathered much interest at the time.

From what I understand, he learned to make the lines from Sebata-san.

1 Like

The english language form is still up and functioning. Interesting about the Sebata line. I own some of those as well and the GT lines are quite different. The Sebata lines are pretty heavy and tend to coil and twist pretty bad in my experience. They are cool lines and very easy to see. The GT lines are much lighter and thinner, the furl is very tight and “clean” on the GT lines. If he did learn from Sebata-san he definitely refined the technique and made it his own. Ive only yard cast them so far but will be on the water tomorrow and will get a chance to use them properly.

2 Likes

FYI, the English order page does not seem to work in Brave. It worked fine in Chrome.

Yesterday I spent some time fishing with the 4 meter GT line (lime green version) on the dragontail ragnarak 400. It really is just a fun line to fish. It’s effortless to cast and rolls out beautifully. I was fishing about 4’ of 5x with a sz 12 hares ear sakasa kebari. The line drape is there but its not bad at all and the lime green is very easy to see. It wont be replacing my level lines but i’ll definitely be fishing it fairly often. Next time out i’ll try the 4.5 meter clear version on fujiryu 410 5:5.

2 Likes