How Much Does Line Colour Really Matter?

I was on a Tenkara workshop recently (expertly run by Paul Gaskell) when the subject of line colour came up, vis-a-vis spooking fish. There was much talk of the benefits of the no-longer-produced Valcan stealth-green level line v’s the readily available fluro pink and orange. Since then I’ve been down a bit of a rabbit hole in search of a stealth alternative to Valcan. I occurred to me this morning that I was on a fools errand and if there was any obvious advantage to stealth v’s fluro level line then Japanese anglers would be using it and Japanese tackle manufacturers would be producing it. What does everybody else think? Is there a distinct difference or is it all in the mind of the angler rather than the fish?

2 Likes

I don’t believe it makes any difference at all. I nymph probably 90% of the time and often have my level line below the surface, in order to get to the bottom of a hole, and it doesn’t seem to affect the fish at all.

4 Likes

A stealthy line might make some difference but I believe if I had not clearly seen a small unusual movement in my line that I would have missed many of the fish I’ve caught.

I have tied up graduated Keiryu Tenjo style lines from a couple of feet of neon level line, then a couple lengths and sizes of clear Seaguar fluoro fishing line with a tippet ring at the end. I add a length of tippet appropriate for depth. I tie on Owner yarn markers that make the end of the line very visible and have caught fish nymphing. It makes adjustments up or down in the water column fast and easy.

I’ve caught many-many more fish using wet flies and nymphs with neon orange or yellow Tenkara level lines, plus fluoro tippet appropriate for the depth. I do take the extra step of tying on a section of Orvis chartreuse, orange, and white tricolor sighter on all my level lines, with white at the bottom to make it both more visible under varied light conditions and possibly a little less visible to fish if the end of the line dips below the surface.

5 Likes

Maybe, just maybe. On certain very highly pressured waters like Silver Creek or the South Platte, maybe. I suspect that line shadow is more of a concern but color and movement might also play a role. I’m not convinced line color has any effect on my fishing in my waters. I might scare some fish with the bright line color I use, but I seem to catch plenty of fish to keep me coming back. I also fish casting upstream. If I was concerned about the effects of line color I’d cast downstream, so the fly is always presented to the fish first, followed by the tippet.

6 Likes

I fished Dartmoor a few years back when the water was low. I switched to a clear fluorocarbon level line, it made a big difference. However, it only works if you’re fishing Tenkara style in the surface film or dry as the only indication you can look out for is the the fish rising. It definitely has its place and I always carry a clear line.
Btw I use 12 or 10lb Spiderwire

3 Likes

In general I find most advice to be more rooted in personal preference.

I fish a white translucent line that is extremely visible and I agree with @Brian_Miller that seeing the line behavior will convert more fish than not seeing it.

I have no doubt there are conditions where my line choice spooks fish, but I choose to ignore that probability. Just the same as my choice to only fish size 12 or 14 versions of a futsu. There will be conditions that the fish prefer something else. I fish what I enjoy most and do my best with those choices.

5 Likes

This may be heavy handed but there is always motivation for commercial entities to embellish on the complexity of angling or that they alone have the secret to unlock our full potential. Really the entirety of the fly and conventional fishing industry is founded on this tactic.

It takes discipline to resist it. That would be my best advise. Your powers of observation and
experimentation on the water will serve you better. Also, if you have the opportunity to fish with other anglers of your skill or higher…that can help excellerate your productivity. I am not sure if ever a gear choice has ever made a dramatic difference in any of my fishing. My gear is pretty humble, but what has improved me as an angler is time on the water.

4 Likes

Like some other comments, I too use a colored sighter above my tippet but haven’t noticed that spooking fish. I also sometimes am using 4x or even 3x tippet and I don’t buy into the idea of fish being “leader shy.” Maybe in some highly pressured waters for selective fish 6x and a 22 Midge is the only way, but for most of my regular waters that’s not the case. It’s usually my rod or myself that is the spook.

I generally agree…like 80% of the time most water and most conditions tippet visibility may not matter. Sort of applies to most species as well.

But… tippet diameter is most often a factor of rod rating for us, and going too heavy may risk breakage.

If we are fishing drys or a surface presentation in high sun, some note the caustic light projection can spook fish. I suspect the larger the diameter the larger the issue. Some folk will coax the line below the film. I have read that some will abrade the line so it is both less shiny and will break the water tension. I personally dont fish dries so I have not explored these avenues much.

Other considerations are with presentation. Tippet diameter and stiffness will affect drift, this can play more into certain presentations or fly choice. The stiffer the tippet the more constrained the presentation. The larger the diameter the more drag. Sometimes the details can make a difference. It would be hard to quantify with tippets, but it is a factor the wider diameters will scope out faster. This can be both and advantage or disadvantage depending on intent.

In general, my tippet choice is crude. 5-6x nylon. Really leaning into the “good enough” for most situations column.

1 Like