Internet Archive (tenkara online history)

The back story.
Sometime last summer Todoroki-san made a generous offer to send me some of his kebari. In the following weeks I was away from home at our vacation house four hours away. One day my wife called saying I had received a package from Japan. At the time I was also expecting a package from Keiichi-san at Tenkaraya. Asking who the package was from she said she thought it was from Todoroki. I send Todoroki-san a message telling him the kebari had been received. He was relieved they had been delivered. Only to discover when I returned home that my wife was mistaken, and the only package I had received from Japan was from Tenkaraya. It was a mystery why the kebari never delivered. I was disappointed they were somehow lost in the mail. I was reluctant to ask him to try again, and make a new burden on his time, materials, and generosity. However, as you will see Todoroki-san is a kind man. :sweat_smile:

Recently Todoroki-san graciously was willing to try again.
They arrived in the mail today. I am delighted with them. There are more than I expected, and a wonderful variety of them. :joy: :triumph:

Todoroki-san, Thank you very much. I am humbled by your wonderful gift. どうもありがとうございます!

TodorokiKebari1

TodorokiKebari2

TodrokiKebari3

It will be a long wait till spring when I can fish with them. :slightly_frowning_face:

Yesterday when I walked out to get my mail I walked along the creek that runs along the south side of my yard. I was surprised to see several small fish darting about below the thin ice covering the stream. :astonished:

2 Likes

Thank you for contacting

This time, I send to a small amount :wink:

Good fishing for each other

Have a happy new year

I’m the same :smile:

Adam,
Thank you for starting up this section in 10 Colors. The information is fascinating and informative.
I hope that you, David, and Todoroki-san continue to offer more information. I am very interested in the
Japanese history, methods, flies, people that started and refined Tenkara. Many thanks to you all for sharing.
I now that many people (including me) benefit greatly from this information.

1 Like

commercially available tenkara-rod was popular it was the late 1960s~

in the early 1970s, the FF fishing method was popularized in Japan

Both are the times that I have experienced

I think that tenkara-fishing was attracting attention in the US website on around 2009~

I think I was able to meet in a very wonderful time

Tenkara’s fishing has been introduced and it is about 10 years passed.

It becomes time to establish better variety of tenkara fishing by everyone of the environment and nature and the target fish

It is wonderful to be able to experience this time with everyone

1 Like

Thank you Todoroki-san. You are an amazing person .:cat:

1 Like

You are welcome.

“His story” is not always correct. To the victor, goes the spoils. If no one challenges the history, then it stands as written.

The books in this section are the history of Japanese Tenkara. That web page was written to show where I get my history lessons. Those books have stood the test of time. I won’t go into it much more, you either understand my point or not but the bottom line is, you should do your own research. I post the books because they are from Japan and they are written by the Japanese. It is up to you to decide for yourself, your interpretation of Japanese tenkara and the history of it.

This is the way that I do it and I share it. I’m grateful when people join in and share what they know freely.

I personally think Japanese history should be told by the Japanese. Their English is good enough, their command of the language is excellent.

Now, tenkara is outside of Japan. I’m going to focus more on tenkara NOT in Japan but where it has gone. I have respectfully attentive to the Japanese and now it’s time for reporting on how it has taken seed outside of it’s home. I’m super excited to go exploring with what I know in places so far removed from tenkara’s homeland.

I truly believe that tenkara has come of age, and the people that do it all over the globe, what they are doing is awesome.

I think tenkara is no longer in it’s infancy.

1 Like

Too many, now it is lowered from the shelf and is piled up :wink:

The story of tenkara fishing for me is my one’s (life) story

Story of tenkara fishing everyone is your`s story and future of tenkara

It is a pleasure for me :grinning:

1 Like

Wow, mine too. I started out fishing very much like I fish now, but now with feathers instead of a grasshopper I caught.

2018 is going to be a transition year for me, more writing, less wasting time online. This will not change my participation here. There are a couple of you that I enjoy interacting with. You are respectful and I appreciate what you do.

Thank you.

1 Like

I didn’t know the topic!
The writer of the sleeping whisky cat blog is me!
I was so surprised!

:rofl::open_mouth: Me too. Small world sometimes. :laughing:

Kind of similar to the Japanese language blog I turn up now and again.
It’s about replacing the cork grip on his tenkara rod with a wooden grip.
But the small world part is he writes that he learned to tenkara fish, when living in my home state here in the USA when he worked for one of the Japanese companies in the Kanawha Valley. He had not learned mountain stream fishing in Japan before coming here. Learned it here, but continued it after returning home.

2 Likes

If possible we will cooperate to become tenkara-net archive

Knowledge of my tenkara fishing is old knowledge because I learned while fishing with an old fisherman in the middle mountainous area

I think that you have a lot of knowledge of the new tenkara fishing

Things I know can be answered quickly and I will check what I do not know

There may be mistakes, but I will fix it

When FF fishing law spread in Japan as well, there are many personal mistakes and unfair information as well and there are now also difficult aspects that it is difficult to understand due to it

Mistakes can fix even later but unfair information eliminates

If everyone is Kurere forgive laughing my poor English :smile:

1 Like

I added the summary about 粋 article on my blog in English.
http://sleeping-whiskycat.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/12/19/213828

1 Like

Cool, Hope I didn’t botch my attempted translation wildly incorrect.
Trying to discover the deeper meaning of, and the difference between iki / sui [いき・すい, or 粋 ・すい ]. Just kind of ran me around in circles. I suspected some people who tried to explain them didn’t really understand it themselves.

1 Like

Ah, here is the link to that small world tenkara blog I mentioned earlier.

Where the blog author wrote:
It was my first visit to friends in West Virginia when I lived in America to know (learn about?) Trout. … It was the headwaters rather than a mountain stream, where I experienced Tenkara Fishing for the first time.
[ トラウトを知ったのはアメリカ在住の時、
ウエストヴァージニアの友人に連れられ行ったのが初めてです。。。。。。渓流と言うより源流でしたが、そこでテンカラ釣りを初めて体験しました。]

How cool is that? :smile:
Totally surprising. It would have been less surprising if he had written that he visited friends in WV and took them tenkara fishing for the first time. But it was the other way round. He learned how to tenkara fish here, then kept tenkara fishing after he returned to Japan. Reverse export of tenkara culture. :wink:

Anyway, his post is really about - Thinking of river tools as mountain tools. Or maybe it is the other way round. Japanese sentence structure still confuses me which way things are going. His blog post is about making a wooden grip for his rod, tougher material.

川道具を山道具として考える
Think of River Tools as Mountain Tools

2 Likes

Think of river tools as mountain tools = Think of tenkara-tool as a tool of mountain
・・・Poetic way of expression

Either way the idea of @dwalker is correct

1 Like