Level line and furled leaders

Curious if we have any in house folk obsessed with experimenting with level lines or furled leaders. Any Level line junkies or furled leader junkies?

I usually use just a straight 3.0 level line slightly longer than my rod.

4 Likes

I, for most of my Tenkara experience, have been using furled or pvc leaders. Recently, as part of a field test for Jason Sparks of Tenkara Angler, I volunteered to try out some level leaders for him.

Game changer. My accuracy and my drifts improved immediately. I still will carry some other types of leaders for high winds or deep nymphing, but, I am a big fan of level now.

2 Likes

Ive gathered a decent collection of flouro/nylon level lines from #1.5 to #4.5. I’ll occasionally try out A furled leader if it looks interesting like the Yuzo Sebata line or the dragontail oudachi nymphing line. Since a lot of the DT #3 nylon content centered around Kura-san and his use of them I reached out to Keiichi from tenkara-ya and asked him if he’d find out the exact line Kura-san preferred(I read they were friends). I purchased a few spools from him and it is a pretty neat line. Different than some of the nylons i’d obtained on my own and it does cast well. I dont find the #3 nylon as daunting as the DT stuff makes it out to be. While I like and appreciate the content they have put out they do work that “secrets of the Japanese masters” schtick pretty hard. Most of the line collecting/experimenting is for my own curiosity and enjoyment. I dont really encounter many scenarios where a #3.5 flouro level line isnt more than adequate. The line in the pic is the #3 nylon from tenkara-ya. Also interested in trying the spiderwire this season.

3 Likes

I’ve used and still have furled lines, haven’t used them in years. I use level lines 3.0, 3.5 or 4.0 depending on the rod, flies and conditions.

3 Likes

It may not be why you asked but I use level lines and bloodknot (what ends up being) a ~25" section of RIO orange-chartreuse-white 0X nylon sighter to every one of the #3, #3.5, & #4 (DT orange or Yamatoyo yellow) level lines I use for noticeably better visibility during shade-bright sun-glare lighting transitions. The combined line is typically rod length. I find the hi-vis yellow line with the sighter gives me the greatest latitude here in the densely forested-brushy PNW coastal, Olympic & westside Cascade Mountains streams. Orange line with a sighter can be better for the drier and less forested-brushy Cascade east slopes, the scablands, and the Palouse beyond. The softer nylon and slightly smaller diameter technically does make it a tapered line that may affect turnover and drape otsuri but that’s not the reason I do it.

I experimented with knotted tapered fluoro lines,
(Tenkara Tapered Leader)
factory tapered nylon, and the Spiderwire line you sent me ranging from rod length to 10 meters for my Suntech GM53. They tended to cast better; sometimes much better, but I was spending too much time and energy positioning myself to find an open casting path even on larger open coastal streams because of carrying so much line in the air with the longer rod length. And I still got hung up more often in streamside brush and trees than when using shorter rods and lines. Wind compounds the frustration. Using Keiryu techniques with the long Keiryu rod is much better (duh).

I have carried a 5m+ #4 knotted tapered fluoro line to use with a 3.9m rod for sub-alpine lakes but positioning to find an open spot to cast is often still a problem and wind is even more likely. Maybe I just haven’t figured it out yet but a spinning rod with lures or flies (and a casting float) is the favored tool for bank fishing by the two local alpine lake fishing clubs’ serious anglers (a fly rod & reel + a spinning reel works too!). And when I bring my Wilderness Lite “BPro” tube in a (fishing) daypack, a fly rod & reel + spinning reel (~12 liters and right at 10# for the combined kit) is way more versatile.

4 Likes

For deep nymphing have you checked out the TTN (Tactical Tenkara Nymphing) lines offered by Paul Vertrees of Tenkaratracks.com? Excellent lines for deeper nymphing. Specifically, the depth dots placed on the line at specific strategic depths allow you to know exactly how deep your fishing and to easy replicate that depth again and again.

1 Like

At $30.00 a leader, it’s too steep for me. For deep nymphing I experimented with 65lb yellow braid (Amazon) with a 24" sighter section and tippet ring to attach the leader to, casts and fishes nice. I can easily judge depth with that configuration

I’m predominantly a level line user but not an experimenter. I’ve been fishing tenkara for almost 8 years and only recently did I need to buy my second spool of line. I probably used the same 9’ piece of 3.5 level line for at least 5 years.

I recently got a hellbender though and bought some furled line to go with it for heavier nymphs and streamers. It’s been fun fishing that way a bit this year so far.

4 Likes

I used furled lines (braided lines) for fly fishing for years and stopped using tapered leaders or knotted leaders. However, when I started tenkara fishing I decided to use level line. I did buy a lot of furled leaders but never used them.
I also purchased the furled line maker from Adam Trahan but I have never used it. It is still sitting in the box that he mailed to me with all the lines and instructions. Not sure why I bought it but it now sits in the garage. ???
I only use level lines from 3.0 to 4.0. I’m not sure why I only us level line instead of furled line but maybe reading Tenkara USA info. early in my transition to tenkara fishing influenced me in that direction. Whenever I fish western style fly fishing I still only use braided leader. Go figure.

2 Likes

OK for those who have responded. I have a number of level lines and furled leaders I will mail out to anyone who wants them.

This thread was a motivator to find folk who might be interested in lines that I bought but will be giving away.

I have to catalog them all, and also I am busy fishing, so it may take a few beats for me to get my act together. After those who responded are fulfilled, I will open it up to the rest of the forum. In general it is fun to play with these lines, and fun to experiment.

3 Likes

It is interesting to experiment with new lines, as well as with new rods. I use Levil Laine #3 to #5 in size . There are twisted cords. Gotta try the cone cord this summer. For me, choosing a line is like choosing a fly before fishing. Well, your cords are always in me when fishing.

4 Likes

That is very kind of you. I’d love to try more furled lines since most of my experience is with level lines.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.