Making a tamo

i was finally able to find a few suitable branches to build a net. i’m afraid the limbs may be too small but im going to give it a try. these are pine.

7 Likes

Very nice. What net are you planning to use?

i have an old cast net that i intend to repurpose. this one is an educational unit at this point. it is my first attempt.

scarf joint glued up. it’s coming along.

3 Likes

Looking round

finally finished it. ended up ordering a few nets from flyfishingnets. this is the 28” circumference net. the wood is loblolly pine. stained with minwax and sealed with several coats of gorilla glue applied the way they use it for split cane rods.

7 Likes

That came out pretty good.

thanks

Wow, this looks great. Gives me inspiration to try making one myself.

1 Like

do it!

They look nice. I’m in the process of making two, both are in the drying process for another month or two. One will be a small brookie net, the other for larger fish. Not sure what I will use for netting, leaning towards cloth for the small net, and black silicone for the larger net.

1 Like

Neil,
Sorry for being so late to reply. You made a wonderful tamo and I’m impressed. You could sell these to tenkara people, seriously, these tamo are that good. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

I just started a new Tamo. The net bag will be ordered from tenkaraya.com. They don’t sell them anymore but they were able to find a 24cm bag for me. Let the drying begin.

5 Likes

thats going to be a nice one.

1 Like

Dave,
Great job so far. I hope you have better luck than me. My starter tamo was so ugly that when I tried to throw it away the trash can wouldn’t accept it.
Let us see the final result if you get a chance. Neil Young made one that blew my socks off.

3 Likes

Finished the net! I was able to track down a net bag from Tenkara-ya in Japan. I think it turned out great. Check out the link the video of me attaching the net bag video link

5 Likes

very nice!