Rainnbow trout high jump event

Here’s my latest video, from a trip in December 2017.
The Rainbows were jumping much more than usual on this day.

4 Likes

What a nice movie it is!
Although the southern hemisphere seems to be busy with fishing
The northern hemisphere is busy with kebari-tying :grinning:

2 Likes

Nice, Nick! That’s a beautiful stream.

Also, love the camo!!

3 Likes

It’ll swap around all too soon… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Tom, it’s my favourite one to fish…but I wear rock fisherman’s spikes to help in negotiating the very slippery rocks and all the damp fallen trees.
Also, the cammo is our own Australian pattern, called ‘Auscam’. You can see more of it here: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=auscam&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWu_HE_N3YAhUDa7wKHdlVCUEQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=709

1 Like

Greenery and liquid water. Outside my house it’s snowing and the creek along the south side of the yard will probably be completely frozen over again by this time tomorrow.

Which fly were they taking? The dry fly on the dropper loop or the wet fly?
Looks like you found plenty of rainbows to catch. In contrast to an article I read a couple of years ago about a mysterious collapse of rainbow trout population. Perhaps caused by overstocking. Killing off both native fish and stocked fish.
Quick progress for someone who only took up tenkara fishing less than a year ago.
Thanks for posting.

1 Like

A lot of people from New Zealand and Australia are enjoying Nagano at the nearby ski resort

Preempt swap ? :grinning:

I arrive at the ski resort in 1 hour from home but I have farm work :sweat:

2 Likes

Great video. Good therapy for those of us who still have to wait a few months for the snow and ice.

That (missed) strike around 3:00 looks insane!

Off-topic: are those palm trees?

1 Like

@Nick_Pavlovski It seems you’ve taken some video cues from @tvdavisid. Well done and nice fish.

2 Likes

Our Winter inches closer every day…and this has been a La nina summer here, not a hot dry one, so…

They were taking both the Stimulator and the Nymph, right across the entire session…it wasn’t like they were taking the Nymph early on then swapped to the Stimmi, it was a sort of consistent alternation across the 2.5 hours.

Very, very few rivers get stocked over here because of the impact on the native minnows. It’s only lakes that get stocked, so I was catching wild grown fish. The bushfires here in my state can cause ashslides and mudslides in autumn which can kill many of the fish in the river downstream for a year or two…but our Aussie trout have bounced back fairly strongly each time.

Thaks for your praise. It’s watching all of your videos, reading your blog posts and forum comments, and reading articles hungrily that have helped…plus weekly trips to put it all into practice.

That’s a beautiful view, but I’m scared of ski-ing, so I’ll stay here, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Evan.
Indeed, that missed strike was a beauty…and I had him for a few seconds, but the hook tip must not have penetrated, as all of a sudden the line just want completely loose…
Those are tree ferns Dicksonia antarctica - Wikipedia
and I absolutely adore them, it makes going fishing all the more enjoyable. I always equate ferns with running water and tricky freshwater fish…
Here are more local ferns: http://www.mrfern.com.au/ferns.php

Thank you very much! @tvdavisid is my exemplar of all things perfected in fixed line fly fishing. I hope one day I can thank him in person for all the inspiration and advice he’s given me.

2 Likes

I believe (and know for myself) that you aren’t alone in this. His blog and videos (especially the latter for me) have been hugely influential and helpful.

3 Likes

Thanks guys. That’s what keep me going!

4 Likes

Bloody oath. All his content is invaluable. I keep going back and re-reading old blog posts for things I’ve missed.

3 Likes

And thank you for doing it all. On behalf of myself and so many others.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was doing when I was notified of your post above!

1 Like

Nick,
I love the music. Great video.

Great vid Nick! I’ve only come across this forum in the last few days which is how I discovered your trip report and your other vids! It’s good to know there’s a fellow Tenkara fisherman in my neck of the woods. I’m in Central Vic though - a bit hot and dry for trout! How do you find the camo, does it make a difference?

1 Like