Shakey Beeley Fly Pattern

The first place I saw a picture of the Shakey Beeley Fly Pattern was in the book, Simple Fly Fishing - Techniques For Tenkara And Rod & Reel, by Yvon Chouinard, Craig Mathews and Mauro Mazzo, and it has been a very effective fly pattern for me. I have caught bluegill, crappie, Large Mouth Bass, as well as rainbow, brook and golden trout on it but, all of my angling with it has been done in Stillwaters. However, I have it on good authority that the Shakey Beeley in this color variation is a highly effective pattern to use on spawning brown trout. Here is a video showing how to tie what I believe is its most productive color variation:

Of course you can freely substitute in any other tying materials you please and get equal or even better results I am sure. I use a 60 degree jig hook, and a 1/8” Black, slotted Tungsten Bead for weight, and a length of Jamison’s Scotch Broom colored wool yarn for the body material, and a Medium Width piece of brown copper wire for the rib, with a FL-Orange thread Hot Spot going in between the hackle and the bead, so the sky is the limit with what you can do in tying this fly. This was the first pattern I had any real success with using Krystal Flash materials, which inspired me to develop 4 other Tenkara Flash Streamers that have also done well. There are a number of other videos out there on this pattern, showing other color and material variations as well as providing its history and the reason for the unusual name it carries. Enjoy…Karl.

1 Like

This looks really cool, Karl. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Good looking fly, nicely tied. I like the colors. I think it would look good in the water. I like the counter wrapping the floss on the body so it is more pronounced.