Shimano Keihō Tenkara NR

Also listed on the troutinfo website in a post dated Nov. 15th. Scheduled release date Dec. 2019.
Is the Shimano 渓 峰(けいほう) テンカラ NR – [Keihō, River Peak, I think] ,

A tip flex, 8:2 rod. Promoted as being accurate to target. [点を射抜く, Shoot through the dot/point] with just a quick wrist snap cast.
Two lengths: 3.3m and 3.6m.
It also has an interesting grip design, a little different from what I recall seeing before.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/rod/5907

fishing.shimano instructor Ishigaki Hisao Roddo kei hō tenkara nr

4 Likes

Thank you for the update. As a Shimano Tenkara fan I am excited anytime Dr. Ishigaki has a new design.

1 Like

Thank you, David. I’m glad you keep up with all the new info and are willing to share it with us.
I really like Shimano tenkara rods as well. This seems extremely interesting.

Looks exciting! That Pack Tenkara rod I love and the Doc can do no wrong :slight_smile:

No doubt! I drank the Shimano Tenkara koolaid years ago! Love Shimano Tenkara. Can’t wait to try this model. Of all my tenkara rods (too many no doubt) Shimano rods hold the highest praises for me. I guess I should say, Dr. Ishigaki designed rods. It’s every bit enjoying his idea of what Tenkara rods should be. They just have the IT factor for me.

1 Like

Uh oh. I have no need for another tenkara rod. I have yet to try a Shimano rod, and keep thinking maybe I should. The Keihō rod might be a good choice. Or maybe the 34 - 38 ZL would better fit my preferences. And at 3.4m or 3.8m it would fit into an empty spot in rod length choices. And avoid the extra cost of the 44 NP. A Gamakatsu tenkara rod would be the only other major Japanese tenkara rod I also have not yet tried. Maybe I could put one of them on my Christmas list for my wife to consider. However, she’d probably be wiser to select the Noodler’s Boston Safety Pen as the much lower cost option that would keep me occupied. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I own a Shimano Maystone 36, Keiryu Tenkara 34-38ZL, Pack Tenkara, and Shimano Technical Game ZL Keiryu rod.love the quality. Will be adding to the Shimano quiver soon it seems…

2 Likes

I was unable to find any listing of possible or potential price for U.S.

Welcome to the forum @bossbob50. Thanks for joining us and hope you enjoy your time here.

You can always contact @CM_Stewart at Tenkara Bum and see if he will have them. You could also order direct from Japan from someone like Keiichi at Tenkara-ya.

Ordered mine through Tenkarabum.com. Contact Chris Stewart and he can order them from his supplier. Price will depend on exchange rate at the time of the order. Should be between $ 250-270 depending on model. First production run is spoken for from what I have heard in Japan. You may get lucky and find a few once Japanese dealers start seeing the first run in January. Next run will be ready in March. Good luck!

Little birdie told me my new Shimano Keihi NR rods are on the way from Japan. :+1: I’ll post first thoughts, photos, the usual as soon as possible. Hope all have a Merry Christmas !

4 Likes

First images I have seen of the new rods. Mine are delayed and shipping next week. :frowning:

http://www.johshuya.co.jp/shop/detail.php?s=34&no=200501

I’m mildly curious to hear about this rod. I certainly don’t need another one right now, that’s clear.

The only Shimano I’ve used was the LLS33 NB. So far that has been my favorite handle on any tenkara rod. However, it was way too stiff for my preferences, so I sold it.

1 Like

I am most intrigued about Dr. Ishigaki’s take on the 8:2 action. Most of his designs and input I love so much in Shimano Tenkara rods are more of a 6:4 flex profile. I understand the design goal of quick, accurate cast. I emailed with Dr. Ishigaki about the rod and he said I will enjoy it. He spends two years developing the rods for Shimano before release. Plus, I usually grab the latest Shimano rods for my collection anyway. Shimano tenkara rods are my kryptonite. LOL.

1 Like

Peder,
I think I was the one that purchased it from you if my memory still serves me correctly. Thank you again.

1 Like

https://tenkaradaio.sakura.ne.jp/tenkara/2019/noukan.htm

More info popping up…cool pics of blank color too. Images are from the link. IMG_1072|375x500

2 Likes

Jeff,
What a beautiful rod. How does it cast and is there any rod you would compare it to?? Thanks.

Mine are shipping this week. I should have them in hand in a week or two. I will update as soon as I get to fish them. The pictures above are from the included link with the post. Cool read if you get a chance.

https://tenkaradaio.sakura.ne.jp/tenkara/2019/kawagoe.htm

This link has a few pics of the rods bend profile. One of the pictures at the bottom has Dr. Ishigaki showing the deflection. Looks 8:2 for sure.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff for the web site. This looks really cool. I always thought Dr. Ishigaki liked 6:4 and 5:5 rods more??? Just shows you how much I think I know :wolf: :blush: Which is very little.