Tenkara Today

I picked up this book by Morgan Lyle and finally recently had time to dig into it. I am only a third into the book but I recommend it.

Very interesting and some info that is fresh to me. I do not seek many tenkara resources, so this book might be old news but the contents I feel to be well written and formed. I feel the author is very objective about his information gathering and presentation. It also has cameos from a few folk who are members here.

2 Likes

How do you think it compares to Daniel’s book?

This is more of a history. Daniel’s book is much better.

3 Likes

Sounds great, I will purchase a copy.

I have both. I will have to revisit Daniel’s book after I complete this one.

I feel most of the info in Tenkara by Daniel Gahlhardo, was mostly already posted online at the time of its release. In both video footage and in TUSA documents. Sort of a nice packaging up into a book with beautiful illustrations and detailed examples, but for those who have already hammered on that info it was more of a refresher. I think it is a great book…but a book with a different purpose than the Lyle book.

There are things I prefer in the Lyle book. It does have more of a historical component, but feel it packages up and frames the tenkara community better than any other resource. Daniels book sort of speaks to a 101 tenkara what is and how to resource. The Lyle book is more of how we arrived here at “Western tenkara” and the influence of some key contributors.

I find Lyle’s perspective interesting as I think he notes having 25 years experience in rod/reel flyfishing prior to tinkering with Tenkara. I really dig hearing about every anglers perspective. There is always something to learn. I did not have much of a flyfishing background. The number of outings I could count on one hand, so I am always interested in hearing about seasoned guys who have converted.

Lyle’s book noted Daniel caught his first trout on a flyrod around 2001…then eight years later founded TUSA. This is a note of differences in perspective between authors on the Tenkara method and its context in the fly fishing world. I definitely feel the Lyle book does a good job of framing the differences in approach for the audience that may not have converted. It is framed in a very objective and personal way by Lyle.

The book acts both as a historical documentation but also serves as documenting how and why many traditional rod/reel fly fisherman have or may convert to use tenkara. It notes a lot of topics that are often fuel for debate online. What is and what is not tenkara. He does this in the most objective way. I suspect the author was motivated to write this book for a number of reasons, the biggest of which would be how tenkara’s introduction has had a huge an wonderful impact on the flyfishing community. He does not discount the fresh and saltwater application of fixed line fishing. He documents both tenkara traditionalism and how the introduction of tenkara has spawned a whole new group of people using fixed line fishing as a fly fishing challenge. This is very different from daniels book, as it is less of a how to and but more of a documentation of current history.

I probably should wait until I finish reading it. I will follow up when I have time.

3 Likes

I actually just finished Tenkara Today last night. Good historical context. I cant say I learned much about Tenkara tactics or gear really, but I still found it enjoyable from other perspectives.

1 Like