Today on the water

Caught some Bonneville cutthroat trout yesterday in a small, new-to-me creek in southern Idaho.

6 Likes

Fished a new semi-local creek yesterday and caught some beautiful little Yellowstone cutthroat trout. Also got a flat tire on the way out as it was getting dark :rage:

3 Likes

I fished the Upper Logan River before the snow closes it up. It was fantastic weather and I was able to catch plenty of Bear River Cutthroat trout. Brent recently posted a fly I’ve used in the past, but decided to tie since I know it to be a great pattern. I tied some on a Firehole 413 hook and then some on a dry fly hook. The cutthroats really went nuts for it, especially doing some manipulations with it.

4 Likes

Yesterday i fished the Waikaioiti river. Unsuccessfully i might add. Saw two decent brown trout and two big eels. Good to see new water.

4 Likes

Fished one of my favorite creeks yesterday for the first time in a year. Really small, steep creek with native Bonneville cutthroat trout.

6 Likes

Beautiful area. Love the looks of that. Fingers crossed you are turning that into a video.

Well, that answers that question - I was wondering if April would be too soon to do a little fishing in UT. Thinking hard about a Southwest road trip. Kids can’t go to school, might as well put a couple K miles on the car. See stuff. Catch fish. Repeat…

But, back to the topic. That first fish is just gorgeous. The Bonnevilles I’ve caught in NV were much similar in coloration to that second picture. Pale, not nearly as brown/gold.

And yeah, I’ll be looking for the video too.

Got out on a mighty pretty Thursday myself. Beautiful day but no sign of fish. I think the Coastal Cutthroat are still in the salmon’s and their own spawning areas up high where there is little or no public access.

The waddlers were out in force today. Funny they just beeline to the deep heavily stocked pools and skip all the faster more technical water which is fine by me as the fast water is more fun and the fish quicker to cooperate. This year thes stocked fish have fantastic color. Some of the rainbows are wearing thier spawn patterns. Todays prize was not the biggest i caught…but rather this hansome model.

6 Likes

I caught this surprisingly large native Yellowstone cutthroat trout today out of a truly tiny stream. This stream isn’t accessible in winter and is largely unfishable in summer and fall (too overgrown). Now apparently is the right time. Also, this was the first fish on my new Shimotsuke Kiyotaki 180 rod.

2 Likes

Sweet!!

How you liking the Kiyotaki? I picked up a 210 not long ago, but not had a chance to use it on actual fish. Kinda feels a bit like the worlds lightest pool cue though.

At the same time I also purchased a Nissin Air Stage Hakubai 240. Worlds different. So very much better. The same model in a 180 is tempting me. I’ll just hand off the Shimotsuke to the kids as a bluegill abuse device.

For the 180 model, is that 180 cm?
If so, how is the casting and fishing on a sub-6 foot rod? And what line have you been using?

@Scott_T This was the first time I fished with it, so I don’t really have enough data to say how I like it. I missed 3 smaller fish (~6 inches or less) with it before landing the big one (~11 inches). Not sure if it was because of poor hook sets on my part or if it was just too stiff to have enough springy tension for the little fish, if that makes sense. I’m thinking mostly the former. I’d be nervous fishing the Nissin Air Stage Hakubai 190 (which I’m sure feels waaay better than the Kiyotaki 180) because I’d be afraid to hook into a larger trout with it. The Nissin Air Stage Hakubai seems more of a true micro fishing rod (that is, fishing for micros and smaller fish). The Kiyotaki 180 seems like a rod that can handle decent fish that just happens to be super short. Not necessarily sensitive enough for true micro fishing.

@Jason_Seaward Yes, it’s a 180 cm rod. It casts well enough, meaning that I can cast it tenkara-style and generally get it to where I want it to go. But mostly I did bow-and-arrow casts with it. The close-quarters fishing is pretty difficult! You need to be really stealthy, and there’s not much room for error. I had a 5-foot #3.5 level line with 2 feet of tippet. A smaller diameter line would probably be better, but I currently don’t have any that I like.

Here’s another pic of the fish:

4 Likes

6 Likes