Today on the water

MOV_0057.mp4 (1.0 MB)

Маленький ручей,вся форель отпущена
I caught two small trouts and let go.

1 Like

5 Likes

A buddy (who fishes western gear; I haven’t been able to enlighten him yet) and I hiked in 2.5 miles to a high stream we had gone to a month prior. The water level was low so we picked a high gradient section with big (to huge) boulders with plunge pools. The going was slow through the rock garden so we only got to fish 0.4 river miles before we decided to call it a day due to decreasing daylight and a weather change. Even so my GPS recorded a 6.2 mile day.

Here are some of the fish and locations where they were.

4 Likes

Just got back from a quick 2-day fishing trip here in Idaho. Caught grayling, rainbow trout, and native bull trout. The bull trout were little gems. Oh, and I caught some goldfish, convict cichlids, and more from a little hot spring :smiley:

^ Grayling

^ Bull trout

^ Bull trout

^ Convict cichlid

^ Big ol’ goldfish from a hot spring. 100% pure, traditional tenkara right here.

^ Rainbow trout

6 Likes

The July/Aug edition of Reader’s Digest has an article, America the Tasty, about different favorite foods in each state.

For Idaho they picked fried trout. But went on to make that claim - " along one stretch of the Snake River, there are 6,000 wild rainbow trout per mile". Wow, that would work out to just over 11 trout every 10 ft, (~ 3m). Not sure if I believe the claim, unless it is a very difficult place to get to with not much fishing pressure. If true, clearly an indication of a healthy habitat.

Oddly a few days ago I went fishing on the Greenbrier River, and caught a 15 in rainbow trout after about five cast. Not all that unusual in spring time or late fall. But usually all the trout disappear from the larger stream by late June as the water becomes to warm, and what trout remain are either caught, die or retreat into the smaller more shaded streams that are also closer to cooler water discharging from springs. The rest of the fish caught were fallfish, small mouth bass, redeye, the occasional bluegill, and a few I was not sure what they were. They all seemed to like a cahill body, #8 hook kebari.

1 Like

@dwalker I don’t know if numbers like that are accurate or not, but it’s a BIG river with plenty of room for lots of fish. It’s two main forks (Henrys Fork and South Fork) are two of the premiere trout rivers in the country, and they definitely get fished a lot.

A river I used to fish often, the Ogden River, also is reported to have 6,000 fish per mile. The Green River in northern Utah apparently has 14,000 fish per mile. Pretty crazy.

(Also, you responded to my post about selling my TB40 for parts, but I can’t reply to it because it’s locked. I was more shocked than angry. Here’s the video.)

2 Likes

I snapped my TB40 in a low section similar to that but it was on a nice fish. I think what happened is I fell with the rod days before or whacked it on a branch and just thought it was ok. In reality it must have cracked and I just didn’t see it. I replaced it since for me it’s a fantastic nymphing rod.

2 Likes

Welcome to 10colors!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @cc121. Thanks for joining us and hope you enjoy your time around here.

1 Like

5 Likes

Caught this beauty Bear River cutthroat last night.

3 Likes

My first tiger trout. Caught it kind of by accident a few hours ago while fishing a cutthroat stream.

4 Likes

I caught a bunch of tiger trout one day about 3 years ago. I didn’t know what they were. I could tell they seemed to be some kind of trout, but no clue what kind. Then another fisherman told me they are called tiger trout.

2 Likes

I fished a local lowland small creek for a little under four hours on a cool but sunny day with my Mizuchi again. This time I fished a fork I hadn’t tried before (that might not be there next year) and took the other fork at a junction to make it a loop trip. I wound up landing 7 fish; a couple @ 10", one 9er, and the rest were 3" to maybe 7". I took them all at the middle 2.9m - 9’6" length with a 10’ #3 line with just shy of 1m of tippet. All but one were taken with an unweighted Takayama Pheasant Tail, and one fish took a Killer Bug soft hackle.

I’m starting to “get” this rod. I only launched one dink, and missed the hookset (didn’t get a solid hookup) on 4 fish (3 on the KBSH); much better than my first outing. It’s a markedly different rod than my 5:5 Watershed 300Z. The hookset is a quick flick and solid. The fight on a 10" fish in current doesn’t put the same bend in the Mizuchi which brings them in comparatively quickly.All in all a very pleasant day.

2 Likes

I completed the Utah Cutthroat Slam yesterday by hauling this 13-inch Yellowstone cutthroat trout out of a super tiny creek.

3 Likes

Awesome fish, where did you end up getting each one? I did one mile creek for the Yellowstone cutthroat but it was tiny. I wanted to find a better one and thought Johnson may be better.

Caught this beauty 14-inch Yellowstone cutthroat trout yesterday in SE Idaho.

8 Likes

I made it up to a little creek that will be snowed in soon. It’s full of chubs which are a pain since they are aggressive and often beat the rainbows I was targeting. I had a chub on about very cast in the deeper holes, sometimes with double hookups.

2 Likes

A little exploring yesterday. No fish caught but an enjoyable afternoon.

6 Likes

The weather has been nice and the Provo River has been fishing great. Some of the fish caught, the old egg pattern and the thread frenchie were my most productive patterns.

6 Likes