Todoroki kebari dubbing

Todoroki san was extremely generous and sent me some beautiful dubbing. He also sent me an assortment of beautifully tied flies embedded in the material.

He is clearly a talented artist.

Thank you so much Todoroki san!

P5241070

P5241072

P5241075

P5241078

P5241076

P5241081

P5241083

P5241086

10 Likes

Wow beautiful flies and dubbing :+1:

@Gressak
Thank you for introduction

I was relieved that the mail arrived safely :wink:

1 Like

@todoroki34
I was amazed how dark the zenmai was. Did you harvest it yourself?

You noted that you leave it in the sun to dry out. Is the coloration difference just from that process or did you use something to dye the material?

The stuff I collected is very very lightā€¦but I just harvested it off the plant within a day or two after picking it.

1 Like

I gathered it about 40 years ago
This is a protected thing for anglers and growing big

It is transformed into those wonderful as material enough to go through the era

I do not dye

It is natural itself of ā€œzenmaiā€

5 Likes

Wow. I am honored.

2 Likes

I have learned ā€œKebari and Flyā€ from various anglers until now

That is the ā€œkebariā€ of Japan that has been treasured in the area

I introduced various ā€œkebariā€ which remain with the photograph of about 100 years ago
Tradition ā€œkebariā€ is also in it

Although it may not be the current ā€œtenkara-kebariā€, it has been used since a long time ago

ā€œProfession fisherman kebariā€ even I was taught that tradition

My wish is just to introduce it to everyone

It is the responsibility of my tradition
惻惻惻ā€œTraditionā€ is told and there is an obligation to convey it

2 Likes

Todoroki san,

If I were to take pictures of each fly you have tied for me and posted each one separately in its own thread. Would you be willing to share details of the pattern, materials, and history?

2 Likes

Yes, I would like to introduce everything I learned if there is hope

That is neither imagination nor speculation but from the past literature, materials and pictures

I hope you all recognize it as a historical fact

Iā€™ve introduced it to date, but these may have caused confusion and misunderstanding

I feel strange whether the actually used ā€œkebariā€ has not been introduced

3 Likes

Make this happen, Gressak!

Dubbing and I frequently donā€™t play well together. Sometimes it wraps on like I know what Iā€™m doing. Other times I canā€™t get it to spin on at all. Changing techniques doesnā€™t help. One day a technique works, another day it doesnā€™t. Iā€™m starting to think maybe my success or failure is controlled by mysterious environmental factors. Moon phase, position of stars, wind speed, humidity level, or other unknown. :confused:

Could be an interesting update to this thread.

David - Do you ever use wax? That is the traditional method. Even though many modern threads come pre-waxed, it often isnā€™t enough to benefit dubbing.

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think I have. Or at least not recently. I have some sewing wax that came in a kit for sewing sails. If I can find it. Iā€™ll give it a try. Maybe that was the unseen trick in fly tying videos, I did not see them wax the thread, perhaps they used pre-waxed thread.

1 Like

I like using dubbing wax. I find that it holds the dubbing better for application. I get fuller wraps using wax.

Not many people wax their thread these days, which is why you likely donā€™t see it too often in videos. Davie McPhail is the most well known fly tier on YouTube that uses wax in the traditional ways. Danville is the company that is most well known for producing waxed thread these days. Although, I donā€™t find it to be sufficient.

@Jason_Seaward I also find that itā€™s easier to make a thin dubbing noodle with wax than without. I also feel that flies are more durable.

3 Likes

Wax provides a bit of stickiness. Recent shopping experience provided an insight. :bulb: When buying fresh produce the store provides thin plastic bags to put apples,avocados,spinach, tomatoes, etc. in. After you pull them off the roll. It is difficult to get the top open. Near impossible to open the bag with dry finger tips. Easy to open with dampened finger tips. The water tension providing just enough extra grip to easily open the bag.

In the past a quick finger touch to the tongue did the trick. An action done without conscious thought. Until now when the advice is donā€™t touch your face while out and about. I found the way to solve that problem. Just find a loose cilantro leaf or similar bit, that has fallen into the bottom of the bin. It is wet because they spray the produce with a mist. Damp fingers, the bag is easy to open.

I thought, Wouldnā€™t a little bit of moisture on the thread also provide a bit of extra grip on the dubbing from water tension? Gave it a try this afternoon with a couple of different types of dubbing. Seems to work fairly well. Maybe not as good as wax. But more consistent than with dry thread. :wink:

1 Like

I keep a bottle of floatant on the desk to put a little bit on my fingers and the tying thread in lieu of wax or moisture which can also help when I tie dubbed-bodied dry flies.

2 Likes

Cool idea Brian. Might be dual purpose of assisting with holding of dubbing while tying and floatation on the river.

It might take me a bit longer to do that. Super busy this week. Irons in multiple fires

3 Likes

I am a bit late to this thread but if it is any help I always tie with a small glass jar holding a very damp sponge. I use wet fingers to twist the dubbing, starting with a little and adding too. For years I have avoided dubbing but I persevered and now have no problems. Apart from dubbing a wet finger is also useful for folding the hackle sides back whilst tying on - but I am sure most of you are aware of that.

3 Likes