Tristan's Latest Amazing Fly

Tristan (@TenkaraAddict) does NOT disappoint. His latest YouTube video, shows us how effective a simple fly can be and captures the importance of color as well. These are real beauties and should get us all inspired to tie a fly or 2.

Tristan’s video on tying the Idaho Killer Kibari is what got me interested in tying my own flies, and then ultimately in Tenkara itself. But this latest one is just simply “gold” imho.

Tristan, what are you calling these little gems?

Roger

3 Likes

Most “new” fly patterns aren’t really new. Thread-only flies, such as this pattern, have been around for centuries. And yes, they are very effective, as I’m sure this fly is. Most of these thread-only patterns mimic maggots, wax worms or meal worms. Changing thread color doesn’t make a fly pattern “new”. Neither does changing bead color. Those changes make what is referred to in the fly tying world as a variant of an existing pattern. That said, experimenting is always encouraged in fly tying. You could call these flies killer bug variants, as they have the same overall silhouette or profile, but use a different material to achieve the same effect. The Utah Killer Bug is a variant of the original British pattern.

13 Likes

Thanks Roger, I’m glad you liked the video!

I never said the pattern was new. With something so simple, I knew it’d surely been tied long before I got around to it. I call it the Thread Bug in the video title for lack of a better name. Calling something a such-and-such variant, to me, isn’t helpful. I’d rather be reading/hearing/using fly names that are more descriptive/indicative, or at the very least distinctive. It makes communication more effective and understanding easier. It seems much more useful in general to have “Utah Killer Bug” to refer to than “variant of Frank Sawyer’s Killer Bug.”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.